Saturday, June 30, 2012

day 18: a picture is worth 1000 words

I'm dedicating day 18 to this barefoot mother and child in the slums of Hyderabad, India. They had come across a small bunch of grapes which are grown in this region. You take what you can get. I'll let the photo do the talking tonight.


I'm tired and feeling a little weak but my spirit is strong thanks to the progress we've made toward the $5,000 goal. Currently at $3,700 with 12 days to go. Today was another $0 day but that's ok, we press on! I appreciate all of your facebook shares, retweets, instagram mentions, and amazon link usage!

Would you consider helping us maintain our pace toward the goal by giving toward scholarships for children of these slums, even if it's what you think is just a small amount?

It all makes a difference, and with your help, they'll be able to attend The Children's Hope Center, where they'll get everything they need to attend a local school, plus hygiene items, daily fresh meals, after school care and tutoring, access to our computer lab and medical attention when needed!

Somehow I'm finding sudden gusts of creativity as I sit and stare at my remaining ingredients before each meal. Here's what I came up with today...

Breakfast. Tostada time! Baked a corn tortilla in the oven- 400 degrees. 5 min one side, flip and baked for 3 min other side (basted both sides with a bit of canola oil first). Then made re-fried beans, spread that on top, added shredded cabbage, chopped carrots, one scrambled egg on top! Usual 1/3 cup of oatmeal and raisins, seasoned with what other than... season-all. Not bad for a 33-cent breakfast!


Lunch. A little more re-fried bean love with homemade corn chips, and a ramen noodle soup with one cup of brown rice and a bit of shredded cabbage mixed in. Thanks to the spicy ramen seasoning packet, the soup was really delicious! Rainy day lunch!


Dinner. I had not tried potatoes and pasta (I thought, gnocchi is potatoes and pasta, right?) So I cubed 1/3 of a small potato and boiled that with the pasta. Mixed with a touch of pasta sauce and seasonings. With some corn chips, wow, this was really good. Just a little light, but that's ok, I don't need a heavy meal at the end of the day.


Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward my goal of 10 scholarships for children of the Indian slums. So far we've raised $3,700 of my $5,000 goal to cover 10 scholarships. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment