Wednesday, June 27, 2012

day 15: perseverance

We're half way. I made it through day 15. Persevering. It was a particularly tough one for me in my own little world. But I'm constantly reminding myself that for most of the world outside of my bubble, what I'm doing would not be any kind of challenge. Today I'm going to take a break from any major thoughts as I don't feel the energy to write tonight.

However, I am dedicating tonight's blog post to this widow in the slums of India, and would like to share a few thoughts about her. She does not have shoes, she does not have electricity, she does not have running water. The facade of her home behind her is made of styrofoam boards she found in the trash. She's carrying her water jug to get some water from a well head that's at least a mile away. The residents of this colony complain to me that the water makes them sick. You can see the real struggle in her face as she tells my friend in the local language some aspect of her challenge--her real challenge. There's no day 31 for her.


Great news. We received another $250 in donations today as a result of this blog! This brings us up to $2,780 of my $5,000 goal for 10 scholarships for children of these Indian slums. I'm encouraged to press on, knowing that already 5 lives will be forever changed because of our collective effort here. Thank you to all of you who have decided to overcome indifference, to make a difference. I challenge you to chip in anything you can--it really does make a difference. Your help is deeply appreciated and needed.

And for a look at how I ate from $1 worth of food today...

Breakfast. A repeat of a breakfast I really enjoyed from a few days ago. Oatmeal and raisins, hashbrowns, and a one-egg carrot omelette. Very satisfying, all things considered.


Lunch. A little bit of pasta primavera, with a side of re-fried beans and a few of my homemade corn tortilla chips. Not much in terms of quantity, but enough to keep the variety and substance at a decent level. Very delicious. Just leaves you wanting a little more.


Dinner. 1/3 of a ramen noodle soup pack mixed with rice and beans, seasoned with the included ramen spicy chicken seasoning. Side of homemade corn tortilla chips and seasoned beans.


Take Action!

1) Please consider giving toward my goal of 10 scholarships for children of the Indian slums. So far we've raised $2,780 of my $5,000 goal to cover 10 scholarships. Every little bit helps!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to Peace Gospel. If you're in the UK, use this link.


3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. The main goal is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment